SUV Rollover Accident Lawyers
Sport utility vehicles have the highest fatality rate of any type of vehicle during rollover accidents. In fact, SUV rollover accidents happen three times more than those in passenger vehicles. These accidents are especially dangerous because often times, they result in traumatic head injuries—the most common type of fatal and non-fatal injury in rollover accidents—leaving passengers dead or permanently disabled.
SUV rollover accidents can be caused by the reckless driving of others on the road. However, safety proponents argue that SUV rollovers can be avoided or result in less fatal outcomes if the vehicles are designed more safely.
SUV Rollover Factors
- Because SUVs have a high center of gravity, they are more top heavy than other vehicles. This characteristic makes SUVs more prone to rollover when drivers are making turns at a high rate of speed or trying to correct a mistake—like when tires catch a curb or the vehicle veers off onto the shoulder.
- SUVs also have additional weight, which can cause more damage and injury in the event of an accident.
- No roll bar protection. A roll bar or roll cage is a specially constructed frame built in or around a vehicle’s cab, like the ones you see in race cars.
- No sufficient crash protection. Many SUVs are built with weak roofs that are susceptible to crushing during rollover accidents. The flimsy support pillars and absence of other crash protection features leave you at risk of a more deadly outcome if your SUV rolls.
When an SUV rolls, catastrophic injuries often ensue. Victims of SUV rollovers may suffer from:
- Quadriplegia or paraplegia
- Severe burns
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Many of these serious injuries are a result of passengers and the driver being thrown from the vehicle. Many automotive engineers agree that an occupant’s risk of injury is greatly reduced if you remain inside the vehicle during a rollover accident. In fact, statistics show that you have a five times greater chance of being killed or severely injured if you are thrown from a vehicle. Therefore it is imperative that SUV manufacturers increase their safety standards and crash protection features in order to increase your chance of survival if your SUV rolls.
When catastrophic injuries are involved, you will need help dealing with long-term expenditures such as in-home care, home modifications and medical equipment. Our lawyers can evaluate your lost earnings and lost earning capacity and help you ensure that all aspects of your injury are considered.
At the Shelnutt Law Firm, our experienced lawyers take every case very seriously. We are dedicated to your claim and will fight to recover the damages you deserve. If you or a loved one lives in the Gadsden and has been seriously injured or killed an accident, please contact our offices today.
601 South 5th Street, Gadsden, AL 35901